A smooth start to a life with a new dog can make training easier down the road. Be prepared before pick-up time to make the transition as smooth as possible. Remember: the dog your puppy is going to be it is now becoming. The companion your rescue dog is going to be depends on the most ideal start with you. Work hard to keep positive associations with everything in the the new environment of your home.
After a puppy passes the 7 week mark, their brain is now able to learn as well as an adult dog’s brain. An important developmental window closes at about 12 to 16 weeks of age. Early experiences help shape a puppy’s world view. Make sure that you are taking the proper steps to keep your dog well trained through adulthood.
Learn how to communicate with your dog to get the behavior you want and manage your dog to prevent the behavior you do not want. This 90-minute session will provide you with what you need to get started on the path to peace with your dog.
Get Started Training with Lucy Bailey
Lucy is a Karen Pryor Academy Certified Training Partner and has been training dogs since 1965.
Lucy offers two options as introductions to clicker training and solving behavior problems. Come find out more about force free training! Register for the program that meets your needs.
Small group, 90-minute program with dogs. Covers management ideas, suggestions for solving behavior problems and hands on practice training with a clicker.
- Offered twice a month on Mondays, 7:00 – 8:30 p.m.
- Limited to 4 dogs and families.
- Fee: $25 paid to Kingsbury Animal Hospital
- Register with Kingsbury Animal Hospital by calling 314-721-6251
- Location: 420 Skinker Blvd N, 63130
Larger group 90-minute program WITHOUT DOGS. Covers management ideas, suggestions for solving behavior problems and clicker training concepts and demonstration.
- Offered once a month on Sundays, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
- Fee: $20 paid to the Humane Society of Missouri
- Register through the Humane Society web site, www.hsmo.org/dogmanners.
- Location: 1201 Macklind Avenue, 63110